Thursday, December 28, 2017

good news of miriam - the lost gnostic gospel of mary magdelene - chapters 22, 23, 24, 25



- 22 -
My spy network went immediately to work.
J.D. as always started with his street low lifes hiding amidst and habitating the dark corners of this holy city.
Jerusalem was no different than any big town or city from the beginning of time to the present.
J.D.’s prostitute connections made the first positive connection in the search for accurate information.
He started with the Romans who were meticulous record keepers. The chain of command always really starts at the bottom. Slave clerks attached to the army quartermasters unit had records of army requisitions for the wooden beams used to nail or tie the arms of criminals to the death cross.
Of course some sort of identification is attached to each requisition order. Not surprisingly most of the criminals executed had names like Jew number one, Jew number two and so on. One bit of useful information was that the base vertical wooden beam or stake was permanently anchored into the ground. These upright stakes have number identification and a map on a wall to correspond to the numbering system. Looking at that map in the quartermaster’s unit and making notes on a wax tablet cost three gold pieces to the senior clerk in that unit.
Information received for the day of the crucifixion revealed that Golgotha hill held stake number one, two and three. These three stakes were the most used and most visible place of crucifixion. The stakes on a hill gave a prominent view to the nearby city gate.
Beyond crucifixion to stakes one, two and three were stakes four through twenty four. These other stakes were began at the bottom of the rock and each stake continued at intervals of some fifty foot lengths and sat parallel to the local road leading to the gate.
From the road, the crucified criminal was set back about forty foot lengths. Forty feet seemed to be a good whole picture of a death scene. The scene was out of arm’s length from the viewer or passer by and close enough to smell the blood and the raw terror of the Roman conqueror.
On the day of the crucifixion eight criminals were attached to their beams and hung up to wait for death.
Now that the Sabbath was over, requisition forms called for sixteen more executions on a cross. And when that lot got taken off their crosses they would likely be dumped in the nearby desert for the scavengers to finish the job of ultimate Roman humiliation.
I looked at the names of the sixteen criminals about to die. No names that meant anything to me were on the list. A few anonymous names were there and some actual names.
Then on a third list of twenty four executions to follow the sixteen was a name I recognized, the name of Judas Iscariot.
This clue led my agents to access the local bureaucracy at the jail that was part of the Roman fortress. No problem getting into visit a prisoner with a few coins given to the right official.
In a wide general holding cell with dozens of prisoners with iron bars everywhere preventing escape, my people were looking for Judas Iscariot. Finally someone identified him to my agents.
Near a wall was a body on the floor face down. Turning the body over, J.D. made a positive identification of Manny. The man had been beaten up and seemed near death.
Manny’s face was swollen in places with one eye shut from the swelling.
J.D. asked that a doctor be brought to attend the beaten man. The jailer laughed as he took a handful of silver.
“What is the point? He is a dead man anyway. They all are going to be crucified.”
Another handful of silver brought a Roman army doctor into a small cell where they had placed Manny. Some basic tending brought him around. He was survivable if they could get him out of the prison.
More questions about who to talk to and how much of an offer to make it worthy to open negotiations.
Now this was a big deal. The Roman army official in charge of the prison wanted a hundred pieces of gold.
J.D. did not have that sort of scratch on him. The money would have to be delivered later. In terms of negotiation, J.D. turned down the first offer. He walked away briefly to consult with my other agents.
Even J.D. knew that this could be tricky. Of course when you are dealing with a man running a Roman prison, that man can screw you up. You can be arrested. They would search you for money. You could be tortured or ransomed. You could sit for weeks or months until the jailer got what he wanted.
J.D. knew the art of haggling. In terms of cultural difference, it only took him a few moments to adjust his bargaining skills to the right give and take with this Roman official. J.D. did not necessarily understand the complex Roman politics involved in bribing a condemned man to his freedom. J.D. did understand human nature.
My man was mindful that Manny’s freedom was likely to put another man to death, to replace one body with another body in the executioner’s tally. But that was up to the fates of others to worry about.
The Roman official finally agreed to fifty pieces of gold after some haggling. This official was going to likely get twenty pieces of gold directly. The administration, governor Pilate included, would get the other thirty pieces.
J.D. did not trust this Roman official. J.D. wanted a public exchange of prisoner for gold. He wanted Manny publicly pardoned by order of Pilate. He was asking a bit much. He knew that I could foot the bill and I wanted no loose ends in the release of this prisoner listed as Judas Iscariot. A bargain is a bargain. A trade is a trade. Spit and shake hands on it. The price for freedom went up to seventy five. Pardons were not only possible but for sale. Twenty five to the official and Pilate and his cronies would split fifty.
The excuse for a pardon was some long forgotten tradition first used by Pompey as a symbol of good will to the newly conquered in this land.
In a public forum, Pilate would propose the pardoning of a condemned criminal on the occasion of the ongoing Passover festival still swelling the streets of Jerusalem.
The proposal was read aloud by a public speaker showing the officially signed document. The question was put to the crowd.
“Who will Caesar pardon?”
To which a dozen paid shouters in the crowd began to shout the name of the notorious prisoner still being held in the prison. The paid shouters named Barabas. Since he was popular and this name was a chance to shout the name of a Jewish folk hero, the crowd went along and joined in the shouting. Of course the pardon document named Judas Iscariot as the person being freed.
A short period of time later, Manny, on a stretcher was delivered to the prison gate and J.D. handed over seventy five pieces of gold to the prison warden. Surprisingly, this bribery was all too easy. Apparently, the negotiations would have been tougher and the price higher if Pilate had actually been in the city. The governor was rumored to be with his mistress in Tyre. Joseph of Aramethea had passed this tidbit of information onto me when negotiations for the crucified man’s body did not hit any obstacles. With the governor away, you could buy the stone in the city walls if you had the right price. Corruption is a disease too easily predicted and too easily and temporarily cured with cash.

  
- 23 -
In short order, everything was coming to one improvised plan.
Manny was in the back of a slow moving cart and attended by a doctor and Rebecca. All were being exited from Jerusalem.
Myself in a saddle next to J.D. and some of my trusted agents rode in front of and behind the cart.
Once out of Jerusalem, we traveled for a day. Two of my agents went ahead to secure a safe house to stay in. Manny was going to need some time to heal and be able to travel further.
Indeed, Jesus seemed to have lost all his confidence and with it his ability to even heal himself. I thought that we were going to lose him all over again.
On one lucid moment when he was awake, I asked what had happened after he had been arrested by the Temple police.
All that I could make out or was ever to hear from him again on the subject went something like this.
Judas went to his crony at the Temple to say that Jesus had not started any riot.
The flunky to the high priest of the Temple attempted to return Judas’ bribe to him, a pouch of silver. The Temple crony could do nothing more. Judas was handed over to the Romans.
The Temple police knew Jesus’ every move through spies in the city.  They came and arrested Jesus and handed him over to the Romans.
This is where it became unclear and Jesus slipped into and out of delirium. And as I have said he would never speak on the matter again.
I only heard a reference later about Judas from the lips of Jesus himself. On that one occasion of the mention of his brother in law’s name, Jesus’ eyes welled up with tears but he did not cry. He then said something like this.
“Greater love no man has than when he lays down his life for friends.”
Time in the present passed and I am in my cloth enclosure above a sturdy camel walking with the beat of the desert trail. We are headed south. My agents have been sent ahead to inform my son of our arrival at his new home in Arabia.
We were traveling on a tail caravan and one of Joseph of Aramathea’s own enterprises. The main assembly of camels were already on the trail ahead of us by a few days. We were traveling fast to catch up to the safety of numbers in the larger caravan. A tail caravan picks up late deliveries, late passengers and is sent out to gather supplies for the main body of the camels and drivers. If you are a caravan and you try to buy supplies anywhere they jack up the prices. It is only when a big caravan passes that merchants lower their prices for trail needs and commodities. It is then that a minor trail boss will buy supplies and bring the tail of the caravan back to the body already in motion.
Manny is still tended to by a physician atop another camel. We stayed a few days at the house I had rented. I did not feel comfortable there. I sensed danger and some of my agents agreed with me.
This last minor uprising near Passover had the Romans unnerved. The Roman governor was returning to survey damage to his prestige after the so called riot. A bureaucrat in need of brownie points in Capri might do anything and even investigate what really went down at Passover. Official heads could roll.
Though I could bribe Manny out of prison, I thought it prudent to travel fast out of Roman territory before anybody in Jerusalem or Simon’s cult could figure out what happened there recently.
In the privacy of my traveling space I pulled out my father’s star charts along with my own.
There came moments when several things came together. It is a moment when instant enlightenment fills the mind.
I looked at my father’s charts. I found some flaws in his calculations. Manny was indeed a special prodigy but my father’s figuring seemed more than anything else to have been created by wishful thinking.
I do not know what all of my father’s thoughts and feelings were regarding this subject. I know that out of speculative science and philosophies comes new ideas and new methods to view the world. This is so especially in viewing the position and understanding the stars. There were new methods in reading star charts since my father’s day.
One new method in the star chart interpretation had to do with readings from the house of the gods or planets.
It has been proposed that since there are twelve gods on Olympus, then logic dictates that there should be twelve planets for twelve gods under twelve signs and in twelve houses to guide star chart reading. With the aid of these visible and invisible planets, the charts come alive in a way I sometimes find hard to believe. It is impressive to see the many ways such readings can aid mortals to read messages and signs from the gods above.
I began to formulate horoscopes for myself, my son and Manny.
For my son I see new beginnings. For myself I see my being a bridge and a pillar of support both for my son and perhaps too for Manny.
My father’s notes talk of enigmas and of circles.
Relooking at Manny’s chart, I see a circle, a loop and a symbol for death and also a symbol for birth.
Perhaps, after healing, Manny will not stay in Arabia. He cannot stay away from the enigma of who or what he truly is. He will think that the answer lies in the troubled land of Palestine.
Before he takes up his message again, perhaps with a sword and likely perishes, I have a granddaughter or two to introduce him to.
There should be a profit in all these efforts by the Magi in these searches for prodigies and great souls.
One amazing star aspect caught my eye to delight and touch my intuition as a truth revealed to me from the gods or the stars or whatever.
“A great granddaughter?…
“Indeed!”

-24-

“Indeed!.” I often thought to myself.
My exit from Palestine was a point of beginnings and ends in my mind.  Where to begin and where to end.
I thought that I was ready for a few years of rest, the joy of grandchildren and a peaceful death in my bed.  That bed was to be located where ever I was at the end.  There seems no end in sight and no restful release into the great beyond from this point in time.
I walk in the blazing desert sun here in Arabia.  The harsh dry winds and heat brush at my face that is partially exposed.  The wind fights with my gown and I hear the friction of wind against cloth as I walk.
J.D., aged and in much need of his eternal sleep pushes himself forward at a distance behind with camels and guards.
I walk the last part of this journey in the heat.  I must approach this sacred spot in the right mood and action.  An energy from that place must match a similar pitch in the mind and combine my spirit with the spirit of this place.  Divinity is always within reach but the length of the reach changes with each grasp.
People pray and the prayers travel at different lengths depending on the position of stars and the movement of the sun and the moon in the charts.  Prayers are unpredictable.  Touching the face of God is ever uncertain.  It happens when one carefully chooses a sacred place and uses that sacred place in the same manner time after time.
To most who view it,  the pile of rocks in the desert is just a pile of rocks.  For millennium, simple people who have tended herds and been in trade on the caravans have made a pilgrimage to this one spot.
Their gods dwelled here when they lived here in another time.  Now this spot is greatly forgotten.  I have seen an ancient reference to this holy land in my ancestors’ texts.  The great Zoraster or one of his early followers mapped this all out.
It was no doubt why my son came here on the map and built a small temple nearby.  The settlement was not too close to the sea to make it easy for pirates to disembark their vessels in the hope of looting a religious temple.  And that living space was not too close to this sacred terrain.
I stop.  The winds have covered the pile of rocks with sands.  The prayer spot and open altar are buried under several measures of sand.  This is not a good sign.  To have the guards dig the place out would give them a sense of the sacredness of here.  The best places for prayers are sometimes best to be kept in secret.
Prayers will be in order at some other time.  Perhaps the prayers and the ceremony will be in the cool season and at night.  We will camp nearby and light the sacred fire of the long dead master.
The recent dead master is the person that concerns me.  My Manny had not recovered from his beating at the hands of those Roman soldier brutes.  He had survived.  He was not the same.  Whether he was better or worse was difficult for me to say.  In some ways, the fire within is the best gauge of what a person is truly about.  Sometimes the fire within is evident.  Sometimes it is hidden.  And sad to say sometimes it completely disappears from the former holder of the sacred flame. 
They say that only a few or only one in a generation or even a generation of generations can hold the mighty fire of God within.
 “The fire is to be hidden.  The fire is to be revealed.  The fire is to be shared with all willing to search and to know when to touch the sacred flame...”
These words from a prayer haunt me.  They should be repeated over and over again until only the words and their energy exist.  The one who prays and the one who receives the prayer are not as important as the energy of the living breathing prayer suspended in air between the maker and those that he made.  He made all for the prayer.  All can listen.   All can hear. 
It must have been the stress of escaping Jerusalem after the great many happenings.  Time has traveled too quickly.  It has been four or is it five years since we scrambled out of the holy city for fear of our lives at the hands of fanatics at the Temple and the Roman machine grinding away at culture and soul to reduce a nation and a people to its barest minimum before the winds of time sweep them away into history and to be forgotten.
News every so many weeks reaches me by means of my agents and well placed sources to repeat the gossip from the trails.  Every newly arrived ship or caravan brings new talk to the desert people here.  If one is well practiced, one can read between the lines and guess at to what is really what in Jerusalem, Palestine and elsewhere.
I am holding a small idol I have kept in hand or nearby all my life.  I picked it up out of the sands of Egypt when I traveled there as a small child so many decades ago.  My father was searching for something.  He was searching for his prodigy, his mysterious saviour for his dying race of Magi.  Did he find that saviour through my efforts or did he waste a life in regards to those efforts?
At any given time of the night or day lately I see only the wasted time or the wasted effort on so many things. 
I stayed away from my family for so long so that my son could compete for power within the dwindling brotherhood.  I let go, and my daughters had raised their children without me.  I have granddaughters to visit with now but they are grown too.  I enjoy their company but they lack the spark of people of an earlier generation.
Age changes perception on many fronts.  It is a blessing and curse to live so long.  One never anticipates a balance of back and forth.  One good to offset a bad.  One breath to continue life.  Another breath to accompany pain, either physical or of the mind.
The sun is setting on this weird setting.  I will not be able to stage my prayers.  I am silent and lost in thought.  The moment passes and a chill of night touches me here in the twilight of a day and in the twilight of my life. 
J.D. approaches.  I recognize the sound and pace of this aged footsteps in the sand.  He gestures toward a not so distant place where a fire is being kindled to make warmth and to heat up some nourishment.  I gesture back my thanks and linger a few seconds more.
I must think of the one called Jesus and I must reconcile myself to the strangeness of his being and his recent disappearance.  He has disappeared many times over these recent years.  Of those times, I knew that he was off into the desert, fasting and praying.  Now, I sense his being gone forever.  I will never see his face again this side of the paradise.  I am waiting with my faithful ones here on this other side of death.
There are children which Jesus might lay claim to.  These children were born to my servant Rebecca.  She stayed closest to him after his trauma and escape.  She protected and cooked and maintained a separate household off in the distant sands away from the regular compound of family, friends and servants.
Since I never got to the point of returning her to her family after her widowhood, I assumed protection of her when I more or less bought her from the man, the caravan boss who was most likely to claim her as a servant or concubine.  I have since asserted her rights as an adopted daughter in paperwork and public ceremony amongst the brotherhood.
As such now that Jesus has disappeared again I am responsible for the feeding of three more mouths.  They say wealth is easy.  It is not.  No matter how high a pile of gold you accumulate in a lifetime, there are always mouths to feed, family and servant.  There are medicines and the services of doctors to be purchased.  There is the expense of clothing and the public appearance of one’s self, one’s family and even one’s servants to be considered when maintaining a level of self respect and the respect of the surrounding community. 
The mother of a Magi community leader and the mother of many children and grandmother of many more is a task in itself.  Still, I have been able over the years to maintain my hobbies, interests and business ventures.
Rebecca has taken on that unworldly look and manner so evident in her man.  I have searched the world a dozen times over and I recognize when someone has been enlightened, whose eyes have been opened in a different way than they have seen things before.  It is not a good thing for women to know too much.  It is equally not a good thing for men to know too much either.  The more knowledge onw gets, the more the obligations become to marshal energy into the ongoing effort in seeking.
So Rebecca is now my daughter and now I am grandmother to two of Jesus’ children.


-25-

As a result of adopting Rebecca, she has been given a new name, my name Miriam in terms of a legal status and heir to some of my estate.  My other children objected to another child in the split that my private wealth require upon my demise.  My son as always the great diplomat suggested I give direct title to some property to Miriam, my new daughter, while I was still alive.  She would likely not see much else in the way of wealth after I die.
Aside from gifts of personal jewelry and some small horde of gold and silver coins, I deeded the townhouse in Jerusalem to her and her children.  Upon my death, Rebecca, as I still privately call her, has voiced her desire to return to Persia by way of Jerusalem and meet with her close relatives there.
I make jokes with this new daughter about how traveling and meeting old relatives is more of a curse than a blessing.  She makes a wonderful companion, as my own daughters have grown distant in the years of my travels.  They still love and show me proper respect but my words of advice about children or grandchildren hold little weight.
Rebecca is close on most matters and sharing except in her knowledge and companionship with Jesus.  Indeed, she had become something of a recluse when he was still around.  Now that he seems to have drifted off into the desert forever she is my house guest and will only occasionally visit her old abode in the hopes that Jesus has returned. 
The young boy seems healthy and he has all the outward signs of a boy of Persian blood.  My son was quick to induct the boy into the teaching and rituals of our faith.  No doubt one day this grandson of mine will be a chief priest of the cult.   Without a real father about, I think it best the child find a niche in life. 
The baby Sarah, the child still at Rebecca’s teat, is another matter.  A parent and a grandparent must always worry more about a girl than a boy.  Even though young, time rolls around and before you know a girl is capable of bearing a child and there is always the matter of a dowry and a suitable match and once a girl child is wed, she disappears and blends into the confines of another family and its compound. 
A visit from the mother in law is acceptable but a short visit is best and beyond a few words of comfort to your lost daughters, what else is there except grandchildren.
Grandchildren can be doted on and be the excuse for any visit.  Healthy and many children and health and many grandchildren is the ultimate blessing, the ultimate sign that one has passed this way in the earthly realm. 
J.D. is much older now but still in good health.  I had often asked if he wanted his status of freedom from that of property as my slave.  He served both my father and myself over the years.  He at one time or this might complain and then I would offer him freedom.  For the sake of pride, I set the price of his freedom at a very high price.  I knew that he was quite lucky in his gambling habits, his one vice.  If and when he would ask to buy freedom, the price could always be renegotiated depending on the two parties.  Everything in life seems to have a price and a bottom line in terms of value.  Everything is negotiable. 
When I adopted Rebecca, I also gave J.D. his official freedom.  He did not do anything with it.  He still remains at my side whenever I travel.  I am his only family and he and I know it.
So here I am.  I am an eccentric old grandmother type who only occasionally studies the star charts.  I am a repository of sorts for my son who might want to clarify an oral fact or two.  My son has access to all my various research and scrolls and is in charge of the various business enterprises I used to handle directly.
I gossip with my servants and eagerly await new gossip coming via boat or caravan from the outside world.  The desert is pleasant enough.  I can travel to the sea and dote on a granddaughter or two.  Life has been very good to me. 
But always in the back of my head as I grow older and fade in the obscurity of old age, always is this nagging thought.  It is a thought or is it a nagging duty.  My father was after the prodigy that would save his race and his religion.  I have no clue if in following through on my various travels that I had finally served my father’s wishes.  In retrospect, he was my adoptive father.  I can remember no other parent.  He sought my talents and I served my community well in my own way.  My former brother in law, now dead, had sought to use me as a sign of corruption in the family blood line.
Sitting here on the veranda in the shade and sipping cold tea, I look about at a village of nearly two hundred souls.  These people are blood and servants and brothers of the Master’s faith.  The temple, the largest of the mud buildings here is where the men mostly gather daily to pray to the God of the heavens and the earth.  Sacred ritual and reading from sacred texts is a daily process that I have excused myself from.  I have paid my dues to my faith.
Still always the nagging question is about Jesus, my little Manny by nickname.  If I die today, perhaps his young son is the blood that my father had hoped and envisioned for this faith of ours founded by the great Zoroaster.   I would never know.  Best to die in ignorance than be a seer to all the true and unpleasant facts that might follow my demise.  How many Persian queens and kings were buried in respect and splendor only to have their empires crumble in less than a generation or their royal tombs to be plundered and the their sacred remains desecrated?
The death thing.  It clings to me.  At times my age make me weary of the task of dying.  Will it be a painful end or will the gods be merciful and let me die in my sleep?  The unpleasantness of death passes.  I make mental notes and have assembled a box or two the clothing and most precious possessions that will accompany me to the grave.  Over time, the death ritual has involved both cremation and burial as the final means.  Fashion, politics and lack of a plentiful source for wood makes burial here in the desert the option that will be exercised. 
The death thing.  I am reminded of the tomb of Jesus in Jerusalem.  What to do with that?  I paid good money for it.  I got proper and legal title to that death space from the merchant Joseph of Arametha.  I have never told a living soul what happened that day.
Peter, that bully of man, is telling the story that he was first to Jesus’ tomb and that he discovered the absence of the body as proof of the rising from the dead of his former master Jesus.  Of course, rising from the dead is no big deal.  God, the Jewish God at least, rules that world.  God can raise anybody from the dead.  Jesus was of course special to so many of his followers.
There are those oral stories of one or several of the Hebrew prophets being sent to heaven in chariots or on horses.  The disappearance of a body from a grave can happen all the time.  Life and death balances between this life and a next.  There are the thoughts in some cultures of a soul inside a body or traveling forever between bodies.  With my own born native beliefs and having been raised in another culture, I have many doubts.  I will wait until I die to figure out what it is all about if anything at all.
The grave.  The tomb.  Jesus’s tomb has been on my thoughts lately.  I am troubled with Jesus’ absence.  Has he died in the desert with his prayers and fasting?  Though, at some past point in time, I would have argued that he was somehow immortal.  Stories and legends about him are already formed back in Palestine.
Stories and legends are good things.  They are healthy for a culture to nurture.  Cultures can get too old and harbor the story and legend too much to the point where reality is no longer reality.  If one does not eat or drink or breathe the air in a proper fashion, the body or the body of society can suffer and die.  Stagnant ritual and unchanging myth condemn society.  Myth is one thing.  Reality is quite another thing.
Every generation can give honor and respect to the oral traditions.  Life goes on and legends fade, tarnish and sometimes get resurrected in another generation. 
Jesus was too Jewish for my tastes.  If my father had reached him in Alexandria in his youth, Jesus with his mind, his great soul and his great presence would indeed be the rebirth of our dying faith.  Instead he got gobbled up in the stagnant ideas and a dying multitude of cults that Judaism has become under the Romans.

The Romans!  My skin craws in memory of living always under that short bloody sword of Roman power.  Under them, always the guise of a Greek play.  Under them, the bitter reality of blood and injustice if you get in the way the Roman power machine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment